Friday, July 2, 2010

The power of words

Tip of the Day: Have a safe and happy fourth of July weekend!

Books change lives.

We've heard it before, right? But how many REALLY have the power to do that?

I recently read a book that has changed mine.

This one:


Yep. FAT CAT by Robin Brande.

In the book, the main character, Cat, decides to take on a really difficult science experiment. She decides she'll try to live, and eat, like the hominids, our earliest human ancestors.

Through the research the experiment requires, and in her meetings with a nutritionist, she learns about the things she's been putting in her body so easily, without thinking. Like diet soda and junk food.

Ahem.

I have tried on and off for a year to kick diet soda. Now, I wasn't a huge addict, but I was drinking one to two cans a day and I didn't like that feeling of - I NEED my diet soda. When I tried to quit before, I gave myself the permission to drink it "sometimes." Like with popcorn at the movies. Or when we went out to eat. The problem was then I'd just want it even more. So one time would turn into another time, and before I knew it, I was back to drinking it every day again.

There was something powerful about reading about Cat just going cold turkey and giving it up. And not just giving it up, but being committed to going without it for a long period of time. I liked Cat, and I thought, okay, if this girl can do it, so can I.

It's been about two months now and I HAVE NOT HAD EVEN ONE GLASS OF DIET SODA!! And I finally, FINALLY don't crave it anymore. When we go out to eat, I get lemonade or iced tea, and it's just fine.

The book also has me trying to eat healthier. In writing this book, Robin did a nice job of relaying the benefits of eating a healthy diet and avoiding artificial sweeteners without being too preachy. It really spoke to me.

My husband says my skin looks better. I feel better. And, I am sleeping SO MUCH better!

I'm hoping, over time, in trying to be more conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth, I'll see the extra ten pounds I've gained the past year slip off. We'll see.

Anyway - I'm glad I read the book. It wasn't just a good read, it was a life changing read! How often can we say that about a book, huh?

~Lisa, Miss Crafting a Career

7 comments:

Robin Brande said...

Lisa, I am SOOOOO happy to read this! What a huge deal for you! Congratulations! (Maybe I'm not supposed to reveal that I secretly read this, but I'm so impressed I just had to come out of hiding.)

BRAVO, LISA!!!

And just so you know, I did that whole experiment when I was writing the book, and I had the same reaction and results you (and Cat) did. It really is a radical experiment, and I really am so glad I did it.

High five, L! What a huge, positive change! I'm really happy for you!

Amy Nichols said...

Hi. I wanted to let you know S.C. Green gave you a blog award over at The Parking Lot Confessional! You can pick it up here: http://wp.me/psAeI-y1. Congratulations on a great blog!

Lisa Schroeder said...

Robin - I'm glad you read it! Thank you for helping me kick my diet soda thang, and for inspiring me to eat healthier. :) I don't go quite as far as you and Cat did, but I'm really conscious of my choices in a way I wasn't before, and I think that's the important thing.

Kate Fall said...

This is so cool! I loved FAT CAT and I gave up Diet Coke after reading it too! (That and a lecture from the lady doing my facial.) I decided to give up artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. I haven't seen much of a result yet because I think I've just been substituting sugar! But I feel good about it.

DeenaML said...

Lisa, yay for reading RB's book. I loved FAT CAT and seriously, Cat makes it seem so easy to make small changes in your diet that just make sense.

Robin, you are so authentic with your real deal research!

Kate, I am drinking sugar-sweetened iced tea right now....but better that than diet soda, right?

Kristina Springer said...

So does that mean Splenda is bad too? Ugh. I kicked sugar (mostly) over the last year and switched to splenda. So if that's bad too what is the suggested alternative? (p.s., Stevia is gross.) :-)

And I had kicked Diet Soda for a looooong time too. But in the last month or so I've had one or so a week. You're right-- it slips back!

Anonymous said...

I have the diet coke problem too. When I had my first child, she reacted to it badly. So I had to stop while I was nursing. I remember when I finished nursing and was able to have the first diet coke I drank and thought, this doesn't taste as good as I remember. But I kept drinking anyway and got back to the point that my body feels it is the nectar of the gods. Why did I ever do that? I completely agree it is an all or nothing proposition.

Now I tell my kids soda is bad, you don't ever need to drink soda. On days you eat vegetables at dinner, mom won't drink one. But boy is that hard.

I still need the caffeine. Resolve to try again.