Tuesday, August 24, 2010

An Old Friend

Tip of the Day: Kristina has her wonderful middle-grade book My Fake Boyfriend is Better Than Yours coming out next week. To celebrate she’s having a contest on her blog where you can win a fake boyfriend. So much fun! Make sure to check it out, and be the envy of all your friends if you win a gift from your very own fake boyfriend.

It’s been a few months since I’ve worked on my last project. At the time, I stopped in the middle of a good editing run (um…thinking back now, that probably wasn’t the wisest idea. Oh, the joys of living and learning :)). Now it’s back to work, and it feels like I’m visiting an old friend but don’t have much new to add to the conversation.

I imagine published authors feel this way too when they have to go back and do edits and line edits on a book they may have written over a year ago. It’s hard to switch your brain back into a project so quickly, especially when you’d rather be working on a bright, shiny new project. The temptation those projects bring can easily take your eyes off your old, reliable book that needs a bit of work.

And as hard as it is to not move on, I need to roll up my sleeves and get back to work, get to know my book and characters again, and refresh my memory. For now, I’ll just wait and listen to my characters until I have more to add as I catch up with an old friend.

--Emily, Miss Querylicious

2 comments:

Kate Fall said...

What a lovely way of putting this. Yes, the bright and shiny new project always seems so glittery. Everything is perfect until you get it down on paper.

amuse me said...

Happy writing!