Monday, November 22, 2010

My Hands, I Can't Feel My Hands!

Tip of the Day: Since it only rains when I don't bring my umbrella to work, I think you should all pay me to carry my umbrella when you need a sunny day.

So what's with this carpal tunnel syndrome? I'm assuming most of you are writers or at least work around computers a lot. How do I know if I need to do something about the state of my arms?

The right arm has had pain shooting through the elbow towards my fingers for about 2 weeks now. And now my left hand has been asleep for 24 hours.

Normally this would be cause for concern, but it's been busy season at my day job so I just figured when things calmed down at work, this would go away. So I've been treating this by ... well, I haven't been treating it at all, unless you count swallowing ibuprofen with my morning coffee.

Obviously this has been impacting my writing, i.e. giving me another excuse to slack off.

Has anyone tried ace bandanges? Heat treatment, cold treatment? Or do I just need to suck it up and go to the doctor already?

-- Kate, Miss Perfecting the Pages

4 comments:

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

Years ago I had a data entry job and after just two months I was experiencing so much pain, tingling and numbness in my right wrist and hand that I thought I would have to leave the job shortly. My GP suggested a wrist wrap and that quickly resolved *all* of the symptoms.

In recent years I haven't been typing at a rate that's consistently speedily (slow writer here) enough to give me any problems in that area but I would definitely recommend a wrist wrap for you. It made such a difference to me.

Carmella Van Vleet said...

I've dealt with repetitive use injuries in both of my wrists/arms on and off for years. I've done everything from ignoring the pain to physical therapy to daily medications. Different folks respond to different treatments. When my pain flares up, those "heat" wraps you can get at the store help me quite a bit. As does wearing wrist braces at night. I also use a gel wrist support in front of my keyboard. But honestly, girl, your best bet is to suck it up and see the doctor. :-)

Kate Fall said...

I've had a couple of people at work tell me they wear wrist wraps at night. I keep hoping it's stress but I guess it can't hurt to try some wrapping.

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

Interesting, I never wore my wrist wrap at night but while I was typing to provide support. Something like this http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/FLA-Carpal-Mate-Wrist-Support-62p684.htm but ditto what Carmella said about speaking to your doctor.