Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You Are What You Read (or You Read What You Are?)

Tip of the Day: It's time to take the Christmas decorations down (note to self).

Blog readers who follow my LiveJournal book reivews may see that my favorite books tend to be, in no particular order:
1. realistic contemporary
2. super well done historical fiction, especially based on true events,
3. some creepy ghost stories, and
4. funny books

That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the occassional paranormal, dystopian, or historical fantasy, but it is kind of interesting that the books I've written (those that are WIPs and those from my past days of learning) are:
1. realistic fiction (6)
2. historical (1, but not super well done or based on true events)
3. creepy ghost stories (1)
4. funny (hopefully 2)

Only one of my 8 manuscripts has been paranormal, and that one I actually rewrote into realistic historical (see above), removing the paranormal aspects. I've never attempted a dystopian and don't have any ideas for one.

Dare I mention that what is selling right now is paranormal and dystopian? :-p

Still, I love realistic books and always have, from Lurlene McDaniel as a teen; to Sarah Dessen, Ellen Wittlinger, and Laurie Halse Anderson in my learning-to-write days; to C. K. Kelly Martin, April Henry, and Eric Luper today.

I'll continue to write realistic YAs and MGs, no matter what the market, until overwhelming ideas drawn me otherwise. I hope you all will get to read my next YA!

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

2 comments:

Liana said...

I love realistic YA too. I think there will always be a market for it no matter the trends

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I hope we get to read it, too!

I think contemporary realism is a staple. Not as flashy and splashy in the marketplace, but a solid seller.