Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Teens Write (or Teens Are Right?)

Tip of the Day: I entered The Writer's Voice, a cool contest hosted by Cupid of Cupid’s Literary Connection, Brenda Drake of Brenda Drake Writes, Monica B.W. of Love YA, and Krista van Dolzer of Mother. Write. Repeat. I'm #81 on this list if you want to read a blurb and opening 250 words for my YA novel. Whether or not I make the final 40 cut, it's been a great contest to enter and check out the other writers' works!

Two weeks ago, I hosted my library's Teen Lit Contest Award Ceremony and Reception. There were so many great poems and prose (fiction and non) entered.

This year's trends in teen submissions? Amongst the winners we had:

--Mermaids/Water creatures
--Fantasy/Sci-fi epic tales
--School settings
--Sports
--Survival/Adventures
--Angst/Reflection
--Satire

This year there were no vampires or zombies. Does that mean teens are tiring of them? That with all the school, sports, surivial, and angst pieces perhaps it is the time for contemporary realistic to come back?

The best part of the ceremony is hearing the winners read from their works. They put so much of themselves into the words that it makes their pieces even stronger. I do love this part of my job!

Anyone out there with teens, what are they clamoring for? If they are writers, what are they writing?

Deena, Miss Subbing for Pubbing

2 comments:

G.M. said...

Deena, I like your query, e.g. the ending of the first sentence .. she's also not the pregnant one. I wonder what is the next bomb that Annie is going to drop ..
That she is joining the TV show Teen Moms and embarrassing Melanie?
The countdown in the query is nice, adding suspense. Godo luck making it to the top 40.

DeenaML said...

Thanks, Giora! Oooh...I like your suggestion about Teen Moms!