Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Trying new genres and age ranges

Tip of the Day: enjoy all the new fall shows. Here's a good list.

I've found in general there are two types of people in this world (or at least the Midwest): those that hate change or those that crave variety.

I definitely fit into the later category.


In life, I get bored fairly easily. Some people like to eat the same meal everyday or always choose the same drink from Starbucks. And while I get why that's comforting to a lot of people, it's just not the way I live. I'm not an extremely adventurous person, but I like to mix everything up enough that things don't get boring. Because too much of the same thing...is bad in my opinion.

Last week I talked about branding yourself as an author and how important it is to stick with a similar writing style.

For someone like me who likes to mix things up, it can be challenging. So that's why multiple pen names can become your best friend!

There are two new categories of books that I would like to try writing in the next year or so: adult fiction and picture books.

It will definitely push me outside my box, and actually force me to think like a grown up on occasion. And I think trying picture books will help tremendously in learning to streamline an entire story. 

After writing three YA novels, when I tried my hand at Middle-grade, I found I loved the freedom to be completely silly with my writing. And I think I'm ready for a change again. Maybe I'll even talk myself into writing in third person this time around.

Who knows. But the thought of the unknown seems very appealing right now!


So what about you? Do you like to write similar books? Or are you craving for some variety in your writing?

--Emily, Miss Querylicious

No comments: